aboutsummaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
path: root/en/news/status/report-2006-01-2006-03.xml
blob: 8f4a025c96dc131dc6360c7ef74f89fbc53db521 (plain) (blame)
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
136
137
138
139
140
141
142
143
144
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
161
162
163
164
165
166
167
168
169
170
171
172
173
174
175
176
177
178
179
180
181
182
183
184
185
186
187
188
189
190
191
192
193
194
195
196
197
198
199
200
201
202
203
204
205
206
207
208
209
210
211
212
213
214
215
216
217
218
219
220
221
222
223
224
225
226
227
228
229
230
231
232
233
234
235
236
237
238
239
240
241
242
243
244
245
246
247
248
249
250
251
252
253
254
255
256
257
258
259
260
261
262
263
264
265
266
267
268
269
270
271
272
273
274
275
276
277
278
279
280
281
282
283
284
285
286
287
288
289
290
291
292
293
294
295
296
297
298
299
300
301
302
303
304
305
306
307
308
309
310
311
312
313
314
315
316
317
318
319
320
321
322
323
324
325
326
327
328
329
330
331
332
333
334
335
336
337
338
339
340
341
342
343
344
345
346
347
348
349
350
351
352
353
354
355
356
357
358
359
360
361
362
363
364
365
366
367
368
369
370
371
372
373
374
375
376
377
378
379
380
381
382
383
384
385
386
387
388
389
390
391
392
393
394
395
396
397
398
399
400
401
402
403
404
405
406
407
408
409
410
411
412
413
414
415
416
417
418
419
420
421
422
423
424
425
426
427
428
429
430
431
432
433
434
435
436
437
438
439
440
441
442
443
444
445
446
447
448
449
450
451
452
453
454
455
456
457
458
459
460
461
462
463
464
465
466
467
468
469
470
471
472
473
474
475
476
477
478
479
480
481
482
483
484
485
486
487
488
489
490
491
492
493
494
495
496
497
498
499
500
501
502
503
504
505
506
507
508
509
510
511
512
513
514
515
516
517
518
519
520
521
522
523
524
525
526
527
528
529
530
531
532
533
534
535
536
537
538
539
540
541
542
543
544
545
546
547
548
549
550
551
552
553
554
555
556
557
558
559
560
561
562
563
564
565
566
567
568
569
570
571
572
573
574
575
576
577
578
579
580
581
582
583
584
585
586
587
588
589
590
591
592
593
594
595
596
597
598
599
600
601
602
603
604
605
606
607
608
609
610
611
612
613
614
615
616
617
618
619
620
621
622
623
624
625
626
627
628
629
630
631
632
633
634
635
636
637
638
639
640
641
642
643
644
645
646
647
648
649
650
651
652
653
654
655
656
657
658
659
660
661
662
663
664
665
666
667
668
669
670
671
672
673
674
675
676
677
678
679
680
681
682
683
684
685
686
687
688
689
690
691
692
693
694
695
696
697
698
699
700
701
702
703
704
705
706
707
708
709
710
711
712
713
714
715
716
717
718
719
720
721
722
723
724
725
726
727
728
729
730
731
732
733
734
735
736
737
738
739
740
741
742
743
744
745
746
747
748
749
750
751
752
753
754
755
756
757
758
759
760
761
762
763
764
765
766
767
768
769
770
771
772
773
774
775
776
777
778
779
780
781
782
783
784
785
786
787
788
789
790
791
792
793
794
795
796
797
798
799
800
801
802
803
804
805
806
807
808
809
810
811
812
813
814
815
816
817
818
819
820
821
822
823
824
825
826
827
828
829
830
831
832
833
834
835
836
837
838
839
840
841
842
843
844
845
846
847
848
849
850
851
852
853
854
855
856
857
858
859
860
861
862
863
864
865
866
867
868
869
870
871
872
873
874
875
876
877
878
879
880
881
882
883
884
885
886
887
888
889
890
891
892
893
894
895
896
897
898
899
900
901
902
903
904
905
906
907
908
909
910
911
912
913
914
915
916
917
918
919
920
921
922
923
924
925
926
927
928
929
930
931
932
933
934
935
936
937
938
939
940
941
942
943
944
945
946
947
948
949
950
951
952
953
954
955
956
957
958
959
960
961
962
963
964
965
966
967
968
969
970
971
972
973
974
975
976
977
978
979
980
981
982
983
984
985
986
987
988
989
990
991
992
993
994
995
996
997
998
999
1000
1001
1002
1003
1004
1005
1006
1007
1008
1009
1010
1011
1012
1013
1014
1015
1016
1017
1018
1019
1020
1021
1022
1023
1024
1025
1026
1027
1028
1029
1030
1031
1032
1033
1034
1035
1036
1037
1038
1039
1040
1041
1042
1043
1044
1045
1046
1047
1048
1049
1050
1051
1052
1053
1054
1055
1056
1057
1058
1059
1060
1061
1062
1063
1064
1065
1066
1067
1068
1069
1070
1071
1072
1073
1074
1075
1076
1077
1078
1079
1080
1081
1082
1083
1084
1085
1086
1087
1088
1089
1090
1091
1092
1093
1094
1095
1096
1097
1098
1099
1100
1101
1102
1103
1104
1105
1106
1107
1108
1109
1110
1111
1112
1113
1114
1115
1116
1117
1118
1119
1120
1121
1122
1123
1124
1125
1126
1127
1128
1129
1130
1131
1132
1133
1134
1135
1136
1137
1138
1139
1140
1141
1142
1143
1144
1145
1146
1147
1148
1149
1150
1151
1152
1153
1154
1155
1156
1157
1158
1159
1160
1161
1162
1163
1164
1165
1166
1167
1168
1169
1170
1171
1172
1173
1174
1175
1176
1177
1178
1179
1180
1181
1182
1183
1184
1185
1186
1187
1188
1189
1190
1191
1192
1193
1194
1195
1196
1197
1198
1199
1200
1201
1202
1203
1204
1205
1206
1207
1208
1209
1210
1211
1212
1213
1214
1215
1216
1217
1218
1219
1220
1221
1222
1223
1224
1225
1226
1227
1228
1229
1230
1231
1232
1233
1234
1235
1236
1237
1238
1239
1240
1241
1242
1243
1244
1245
1246
1247
1248
1249
1250
1251
1252
1253
1254
1255
1256
1257
1258
1259
1260
1261
1262
1263
1264
1265
1266
1267
1268
1269
1270
1271
1272
1273
1274
1275
1276
1277
1278
1279
1280
1281
1282
1283
1284
1285
1286
1287
1288
1289
1290
1291
1292
1293
1294
1295
1296
1297
1298
1299
1300
1301
1302
1303
1304
1305
1306
1307
1308
1309
1310
1311
1312
1313
1314
1315
1316
1317
1318
1319
1320
1321
1322
1323
1324
1325
1326
1327
1328
1329
1330
1331
1332
1333
1334
1335
1336
1337
1338
1339
1340
1341
1342
1343
1344
1345
1346
1347
1348
1349
1350
1351
1352
1353
1354
1355
1356
1357
1358
1359
1360
1361
1362
1363
1364
1365
1366
1367
1368
1369
1370
1371
1372
1373
1374
1375
1376
1377
1378
1379
1380
1381
1382
1383
1384
1385
1386
1387
1388
1389
1390
1391
1392
1393
1394
1395
1396
1397
1398
1399
1400
1401
1402
1403
1404
1405
1406
1407
1408
1409
1410
1411
1412
1413
1414
1415
1416
1417
1418
1419
1420
1421
1422
1423
1424
1425
1426
1427
1428
1429
1430
1431
1432
1433
1434
1435
1436
1437
1438
1439
1440
1441
1442
1443
1444
1445
1446
1447
1448
1449
1450
1451
1452
1453
1454
1455
1456
1457
1458
1459
1460
1461
1462
1463
<report>
  <date>
    <month>January-March</month>

    <year>2006</year>
  </date>

  <section>
    <title>Introduction</title>

    <p>The highlights of this quarters report certainly include the
    availability of native Java binaries thanks to the 
    <a href="http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/">FreeBSD Foundation</a>

    , as well as progress has been made with Xen support and Sun's
    Ultrasparc T1. Futhermore we are looking forward to FreeBSD 6.1 and
    TrustedBSD audit support has been imported into FreeBSD 7-CURRENT.
    All in all, a very exiting start to 2006.</p>

    <p>In just under a month the developers will be gathering at 
    <a href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/">BSDCan 2006</a>

    for, FreeBSD Dev Summit, a two day meeting of FreeBSD developers.
    Once again the 
    <a href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/schedule.php">BSDCan schedule</a>

    is filled with many interesting talks.</p>

    <p>We hope you enjoy reading and look forward to hear from you for
    the next round. Consult the list of 
    <a href="http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/">projects and
    ideas</a>

    for ways to get involved. The submission date for the second quarter
    reports will be July, 7th 2006.</p>

    <p>Thanks to everybody who submitted a report and to Brad Davis, who
    joined the Status Report team, for proof reading.</p>
  </section>

  <category>
    <name>proj</name>

    <description>Projects</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>net</name>

    <description>Network infrastructure</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>kern</name>

    <description>Kernel</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>doc</name>

    <description>Documentation</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>bin</name>

    <description>Userland programs</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>arch</name>

    <description>Architectures</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>ports</name>

    <description>Ports</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>vendor</name>

    <description>Vendor / 3rd Party Software</description>
  </category>

  <category>
    <name>misc</name>

    <description>Miscellaneous</description>
  </category>

  <project cat='misc'>
    <title>FreeBSD Security Officer and Security Team</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Security</given>

          <common>Officer</common>
        </name>

        <email>security-officer@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Security</given>

          <common>Team</common>
        </name>

        <email>security-team@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.freebsd.org/security/" />

      <url
      href="http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/staff-listing.html#STAFF-SECTEAM" />

      <url href="http://vuxml.freebsd.org/" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>In March 2006, Marcus Alves Grando, George Neville-Neil, and
      Philip Paeps joined the FreeBSD Security Team. The current Security
      Team membership is published on the web site.</p>

      <p>In the time since the last status report, eight security
      advisories have been issued concerning problems in the base system
      of FreeBSD; of these, three problems were in "contributed" code,
      while five were in code maintained within FreeBSD. The
      Vulnerabilities and Exposures Markup Language (VuXML) document has
      continued to be updated by the Security Team and the Ports
      Committers documenting new vulnerabilities in the FreeBSD Ports
      Collection; since the last status report, 50 new entries have been
      added, bringing the total up to 686.</p>

      <p>The following FreeBSD releases are supported by the FreeBSD
      Security Team: FreeBSD 4.10, FreeBSD 4.11, FreeBSD 5.3, FreeBSD
      5.4, and FreeBSD 6.0. Upon their release, FreeBSD 5.5 and FreeBSD
      6.1 will also be supported. The respective End of Life dates of
      supported releases are listed on the web site; of particular note,
      FreeBSD 4.10 and FreeBSD 5.4 will cease to be supported at the end
      of May 2006.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='net'>
    <title>FreeBSD NFS Status Report</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Chuck</given>

          <common>Lever</common>
        </name>

        <email>cel@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <body>
      <p>Support for NFS in FreeBSD received a boost this quarter as a
      kernel developer from Network Appliance has volunteered to help
      with the clients. Chuck Lever is now a src committer, mentored by
      Mike Silbersack. Mohan Srinivasan and Jim Rees have ended their
      apprenticeships and are now full committers. Mohan continues his
      effort to make the NFSv2/3 client SMP safe. He expects to make the
      changes available for review soon.</p>

      <p>FreeBSD gained presence at the annual NFS interoperability event
      known as Connectathon. Rick Macklem's FreeBSD NFSv4 server is
      pretty stable now and available via anonymous ftp. NFSv4.1 features
      are not a part of it yet and are not likely to happen until at
      least the end of 2006. Contact rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca for
      details.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='misc'>
    <title>BSDCan</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Dan</given>

          <common>Langille</common>
        </name>

        <email>dan@langille.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The 
      <a href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/schedule.php">schedule</a>

      for BSDCan 2006 demonstrates just how strong and popular BSDCan has
      become in a very short time. Three concurrent streams of talks make
      sure that there is something for everyone. We provide high quality
      talks at very affordable 
      <a href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/registration.php">prices</a>

      .</p>

      <p>BSDCan is the biggest BSD event of 2006. Ask others who attended
      in past years how much they enjoyed their time in Ottawa. Ask them
      who they met, who they talked to, the contacts they made, the
      information they learned.</p>

      <p>Remember to bring your wife/husband/spouse/etc because we will
      have things for them to do while you are attending the conference.
      Ottawa is a fantastic tourist destination.</p>

      <p>See you at BSDCan 2006!</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>
      <a href="http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/activity.php?id=110">Works in
      Progress</a>

      - if you want to talk about your project for 5 minutes, this is
      your chance. Get in touch with us ASAP to reserve your spot.</task>

      <task>We're looking for volunteers to help out just before and
      during the conference. Contact Dan at the above address.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='ports'>
    <title>Ports Collection</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Mark</given>

          <common>Linimon</common>
        </name>

        <email>linimon@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.freebsd.org/ports/">The FreeBSD Ports
      Collection</url>

      <url
      href="http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing-ports/">
      Contributing to the FreeBSD Ports Collection</url>

      <url href="http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/">FreeBSD
      ports unfetchable distfile survey (Bill Fenner's report)</url>

      <url href="http://edwin.adsl.barnet.com.au/~edwin/ports/">FreeBSD
      ports updated distfile survey (Edwin Groothius' report)</url>

      <url href="http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/index.html">FreeBSD ports
      monitoring system</url>

      <url href="http://www.freebsd.org/portmgr/index.html">The FreeBSD
      Ports Management Team</url>

      <url href="http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com">marcuscom
      tinderbox</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>During this time, the number of ports PRs rose dramatically from
      its impressive low number seen late last quarter. This was due to
      the holidays, the freeze for the 5.5/6.1 release cycle, and the
      aggressive work several submitters have been doing to correct
      long-standing problems with stale distfiles, stale WWW sites, port
      that only work on i386, and so forth. Over 200 new ports have also
      been added. The statistics do not truly reflect the state of the
      Ports Collection, which continues to improve despite the increased
      number of ports.</p>

      <p>We now have 3 people who are qualified to run the 5-exp
      regression tests. Due to this, we were able to run several cycles,
      resulting in a series of commits that retired more than 3 dozen
      portmgr PRs. There were a few snags during one commit due to some
      unintended consequences, but the breakage was fixed in less than
      one day. Notable changes include the addition of physical category
      net-p2p and virtual categories hamradio and rubygems. Once 5.5 and
      6.1 are released, portmgr hopes to be able to run regression tests
      more often.</p>

      <p>We have added 5 new committers since the last report.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>We need help getting back to our modern low of 500
      PRs.</task>

      <task>We have over 4,000 unmaintained ports (see, for instance, 
      <url
      href="http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsconcordanceformaintainer.py?maintainer=ports@FreeBSD.org">
      the list on portsmon</url>

      ). We are always looking for dedicated volunteers to adopt at least
      a few ports.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='bin'>
    <title>OpenBSD dhclient</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Brooks</given>

          <common>Davis</common>
        </name>

        <email>brooks@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Sam</given>

          <common>Leffler</common>
        </name>

        <email>sam@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>All dhclient changes in HEAD have been merged to 6-STABLE for
      6.1-RELEASE. New patches currently in testing include startup
      script support for fully asynchronous starting of dhclient which
      eliminates the wait for link during startup and support for sending
      the system hostname to the server when non is specified.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='net'>
    <title>FAST_IPSEC Upgrade</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>George</given>

          <common>Neville-Neil</common>
        </name>

        <email>gnn@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Bjoern A.</given>

          <common>Zeeb</common>
        </name>

        <email>bz@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url
      href="http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/ipv6/fast-ipsec.html" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Split out of PF_KEY code between the kernel and user space has
      been completed and committed to CVS.</p>

      <p>The diff between Kame IPv4 based IPSec and FAST_IPSEC IPv4 did
      not show any glaring issues.</p>

      <p>Moving on to making IPv6 work in FAST_IPSEC including being able
      to run the kernel with the following variations: 
      <ul>
        <li>FAST_IPSEC in v4 only</li>

        <li>KAME IPv6 and IPSec</li>

        <li>KAME IPv6 and FAST_IPSEC</li>
      </ul>
      </p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Any patches for FAST_IPSEC, KAME IPsec of either variant (v4
      or v6) should be forwarded to bz@ and gnn@.</task>

      <task>Build a better TAHI. TAHI, the test framework, will not be
      maintained and is not the easiest system to use and understand. A
      better test harness is possible and is necessary for other
      networking projects as well. Contact gnn@ if you have time to work
      on this as he has some code and ideas to start from.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>FreeSBIE</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>FreeSBIE</given>

          <common>Staff</common>
        </name>

        <email>staff@FreeSBIE.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>FreeSBIE</given>

          <common>Mailing List</common>
        </name>

        <email>freesbie@gufi.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.freesbie.org">Website</url>

      <url href="http://liste.gufi.org/mailman/listinfo/freesbie">ML
      Subscribe Page</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The project is alive and plans to release an ISO image of
      FreeSBIE 2.0 based on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE few day after the same
      has been release. FreeSBIE 2.0 will be available for i386 and amd64
      archs. Tests images can be download via BitTorrent from 
      <a href="http://torrent.freesbie.org">torrent.freesbie.org</a>

      .</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Test "test ISO images" for both amd64 and i386</task>

      <task>Suggest packages to be added to the ISO image.</task>

      <task>Suggestions needed for Xfce and fluxbox look.</task>

      <task>Suggestions needed for applications' configuration
      files.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='vendor'>
    <title>HPLIP (Full HP Printer and MFD support)</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Anish</given>

          <common>Mistry</common>
        </name>

        <email>amistry@am-productions.biz</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.php">HPLIP FreeBSD
      Information</url>

      <url href="http://hplip.sourceforge.net/">Official Site</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>A preliminary version of HP's hplip software for their printers
      and multi-function devices has been ported. This allows viewing of
      the status informantion from the printer. Such as ink levels, error
      messages, and queue information. If you have an Officejet you can
      also fax and scan. Photocard and Copies functionality is
      untested.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>General Testing</task>

      <task>Photocard Testing</task>

      <task>Various ugen fixes</task>

      <task>Fix Officejet Panel Display</task>

      <task>Run hpiod and hpssd as unprivileged users</task>

      <task>Banish the Linuxisms in the Makefile</task>

      <task>Fix "Make Copies"</task>

      <task>Automatically Setup Scanner</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='kern'>
    <title>Low-overhead performance monitoring for FreeBSD</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Joseph</given>

          <common>Koshy</common>
        </name>

        <email>jkoshy@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url
      href="http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy/projects/perf-measurement">
      Project home page</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>This projects implements a kernel module (hwpmc(4)), an
      application programming interface (pmc(3)) and a few simple
      applications (pmcstat(8) and pmccontrol(8)) for measuring system
      performance using event monitoring hardware in modern CPUs.</p>

      <p>New features since the last status report:</p>

      <ul>
        <li>Support for profiling dynamically loaded kernel and user
        objects has been added.</li>

        <li>pmcstat(8) now supports command-line syntax for logging to a
        network socket.</li>
      </ul>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='doc'>
    <title>FreeBSD list of projects and ideas for volunteers</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Joel</given>

          <common>Dahl</common>
        </name>

        <email>joel@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Alexander</given>

          <common>Leidinger</common>
        </name>

        <email>netchild@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/ideas/" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The FreeBSD list of projects and ideas for volunteers is doing
      well. Several items were picked up by volunteers and have found
      their way into the tree. Others are under review or in
      progress.</p>

      <p>We are looking forward to hear about new ideas, people willing
      to be technical contacts for generic topics (e.g. USB) or specific
      entries (already existing or newly created), suggestions for
      existing entries or completion reports for (parts of) an entry.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Add more ideas.</task>

      <task>Find more technical contacts.</task>

      <task>Find people willing to review/test implementations of
      (somewhat) finished items.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='vendor'>
    <title>Java Binaries</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Deb</given>

          <common>Goodkin</common>
        </name>

        <email>deb@freebsd.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml">
      FreeBSD Foundation Java Homepage</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The FreeBSD Foundation released official certified JDK and JRE
      1.5 binaries for the official FreeBSD 5.4 and FreeBSD 6.0 releases
      on the i386 platform. 
      <br />

      We were able to accomplish this by hiring a contractor to run the
      Sun certification tests and fixing the problems found. This could
      not have been completed without the support from the BSD Java
      Team.</p>

      <p>We provided financial support for Java development and funded
      the certification process. We spent a significant amount of time
      and money on legal issues from contract and NDA creation for our
      contractor to license agreements from Sun and creating our own for
      the binaries. We worked with OEMs who would like to use the
      binaries, but needed to understand what they need to do legally to
      be able to redistribute the binaries. This is an area we are still
      working on at our end. We are waiting for a letter from Sun to put
      on our website to OEMs. We are also in the process of updating our
      OEM license agreement. This should be available by mid-April.</p>

      <p>We have received a positive response from the FreeBSD community
      regarding the release of the binaries. We received a few requests
      to support the FreeBSD 6.1/amd64 platform. We have decided to move
      forward and support this too. We currently are working with a
      contractor to provide Java support on 5.5/i386, 6.1/i386, and
      6.1/amd64. Once 5.5 and 6.1 are released, we'll update the FreeBSD
      Foundation website with the Java status. Regular updates to the
      website will continue.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='ports'>
    <title>Update of the linux infrastructure in the Ports
    Collection</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Emulation</given>

          <common>Mailinglist</common>
        </name>

        <email>freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Alexander</given>

          <common>Leidinger</common>
        </name>

        <email>netchild@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Boris</given>

          <common>Samorodov</common>
        </name>

        <email>bsam@ipt.ru</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Work is underway to use the new linux_base-fc3 as the new
      default linux base. Since there's some infrastructure work to do
      before it can be made the new default, this will not happen before
      the release of FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.1. At the same time a new X.org
      based linux port will replace the outdated XFree86 based linux X11
      port.</p>

      <p>The use of fc3 instead of fc4 or fc5 is to make sure we have a
      smooth transition with as less as possible breakage. We already use
      several fc3 RPM's with the current default of linux_base-8, so
      there should be not much problems to solve.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Mark all old linux_base ports as DEPRECATED (after making fc3
      the default linux_base port).</task>

      <task>Have a look at a linux-dri version which works with the
      update to X.org.</task>

      <task>When everything is switched to fc3 and everything works at
      least as good as before, have a look at porting fc4 or fc5.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='bin'>
    <title>Mouse Driver Framework</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Jordan</given>

          <common>Sissel</common>
        </name>

        <email>jls@csh.rit.edu</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/newpsm">mouse
      framework project</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The current mouse system is a mess with moused, psm, ums, and
      mse supporting, individually, multiple kinds of mice. This project
      aims to move all driver support into moused modules in userland. In
      addition, many features lacking in the existing mouse
      infrastructure are being added. It is my hope that this new system
      will make both using mice and writing drivers easier down the
      road.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Testing. Contact if interested.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='net'>
    <title>SMPng Network Stack</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Robert</given>

          <common>Watson</common>
        </name>

        <email>rwatson@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/netperf/">FreeBSD
      Netperf Project</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The FreeBSD netperf project has recently focused on revising the
      socket and protocol control block reference counts to define and
      enforce reference and memory management invariants, allowing the
      removal of unnecessary checks, error handling, and locking. Use of
      global pcbinfo locks has now been eliminated from the socket send
      and receive paths into all network protocols, including netipx,
      netnatm, netatalk, netinet, netinet6, netgraph, and others. Checks
      have generally been replaced with assertions; so_pcb is now
      guaranteed to be non-NULL. This should improve performance by
      reducing lock contention and unnecessary checks, as well as
      facilitate future work to eliminate long holding of pcbinfo locks
      in the TCP input path through proper reference counting for pcbs.
      These changes have been committed to FreeBSD 7-CURRENT, and will be
      merged in a few months once they have stabilized.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>pfSense</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Scott</given>

          <common>Ullrich</common>
        </name>

        <email>sullrich@gmail.com</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.pfsense.com">pfSense website</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>pfSense continues to grow and fix bugs. Since the last report we
      have grown to 14 developers working part and full time on bringing
      pfSense to 1.0. Beta 3 is scheduled for release on 4/15/2006.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Fix remaining bugs listed in CVSTrac</task>

      <task>Fine tune existing code</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>Symbol Versioning</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Daniel</given>

          <common>Eischen</common>
        </name>

        <email>deischen@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url
      href="http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/library_versioning.html">
      Symbol Versioning in FreeBSD.</url>

      <url href="http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984">Symbol
      Versioning in Solaris.</url>

      <url href="http://people.redhat.com/~drepper/symbol-versioning">
      Symbol Versioning in Linux</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Symbol versioning libraries allows us to maintain binary
      compatibility without bumping library version numbers. Recently,
      symbol versioning for libc, libpthread, libthread_db, and libm was
      committed to -current. It is disabled by default, and can be
      enabled by adding "SYMVER_ENABLED=true" to/etc/make.conf. A final
      version bump for libc and other affected libraries (perhaps all)
      should be done before enabling this by default.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Determining the impact on ports - portmgr (Kris) is running a
      portbuild to identify any problems. I am working to resolve the few
      problems that were found.</task>

      <task>Making our linker link to libc and libpthread (when using
      (-pthread)) when building shared libraries. This is needed so that
      symbol version dependencies are recorded in the shared library. I
      think kan@ is working on this.???</task>

      <task>Identify and symbol version any other libraries that should
      be symbol versioned. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all
      ears.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='kern'>
    <title>Status Report ATA project</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>S&#248;ren</given>

          <common>Schmidt</common>
        </name>

        <email>sos@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <body>
      <p>The last months has mostly been about stabilizing ATA for
      6.1-RELEASE, and adding support for new chipsets. On that front
      JMicron has raised the bar for vendors as they have provided not
      only hardware but documentation on both their hardware and their
      software RAID implementation, making it a breeze to add support for
      their, by the way excellent, products. Other vendors can join in
      here. :) Otherwise I'm always in the need for any amount of time or
      means to get it if nothing else.</p>

      <p>ATA has grown a USB backend so that fx. flash keys and external
      HD/CD/DVD drives can be used directly without atapicam/CAM etc.
      This is very handy on small (embedded) systems where resources are
      limited and kernel space at a premium. burncd(8) is in the process
      of being updated so it will support this along with SATA ATAPI
      devices, and if time permits adding DVD support.</p>

      <p>The next months will be used to (hopefully) work on getting ATA
      to work properly on systems with &gt; 4G of memory and utilize the
      64bit addressing of controllers that support it. RAID5 support for
      ataraid is on the list together with hardening of the RAID
      subsystem to help keep data alive and well.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>BSDInstaller</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Andrew</given>

          <common>Turner</common>
        </name>

        <email>soc-andrew@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/BSDInstaller" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>The BSDInstaller integration work has progressed since the
      previous report. The backend has been changed to the new Lua
      version. This is to ensure the version we use will be maintained.
      The release Makefile now uses the Lua package rather the local copy
      in Perforce. Ports are also being created for the required modules
      to remove the need to bring Lua into the base.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Create a port for all the Lua modules required</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='ports'>
    <title>libpkg - Package management library</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Andrew</given>

          <common>Turner</common>
        </name>

        <email>andrew@fubar.geek.nz</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://libpkg.berlios.de/" />

      <url href="http://developer.berlios.de/projects/libpkg/" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Libpkg is a package management library using libarchive to
      extract the package files. It is able to download, install and get
      a list of installed packages. Work has also been started on
      implementing the package tools from the base system. Most of
      pkg_info has been implemented and pkg_add has been started.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Support for more command line options in pkg_info and
      pkg_add</task>

      <task>Creating a package</task>

      <task>Test pkg_add works as expected for all implemented command
      line options</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='net'>
    <title>Bridge STP Improvements</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Andrew</given>

          <common>Thompson</common>
        </name>

        <email>thompsa@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <body>
      <p>Work has been started to implement the Rapid Spanning Tree
      Protocol which supersedes STP. RSTP has a much faster link failover
      time of around one second compared to 30-60 seconds for STP, this
      is very important on modern networks. Some progress has been made
      but a RSTP capable switch will be needed soon to proceed, see 
      <a href="http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html">
      http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html</a>

      .</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Donation of a RSTP switch</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='kern'>
    <title>TMPFS (Filesystem) for FreeBSD</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Rohit</given>

          <common>Jalan</common>
        </name>

        <email>rohitj@purpe.com</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://download.purpe.com/tmpfs">Project Home</url>

      <url href="http://download.purpe.com/tmpfs/bmark.html">I/O
      Benchmarks</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Three betas have been released so far. The code is operational
      and seems to be stable but it is not MPSAFE yet.</p>

      <p>The second and third betas used different mechanisms for data
      I/O. (sfbuf vs. kernel_map+vacache) and at present I am in the
      process on selecting one mechanism over the other. Your opinion is
      solicited.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='kern'>
    <title>Sound subsystem improvements</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Multimedia</given>

          <common>Mailinglist</common>
        </name>

        <email>freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Ariff</given>

          <common>Abdullah</common>
        </name>

        <email>ariff@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Alexander</given>

          <common>Leidinger</common>
        </name>

        <email>netchild@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/hdac-20060313.tbz">
      Start of Intel HDA support.</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>A lot of fixes (bugs, LORs, panics) and improvements
      (performance, compatibility, a new driver, 24/32bit samples
      support, ...) have been merged to RELENG_6. FreeBSD 6.1 is the
      first release which ships with the much improved sound system.
      Additionally there's work underway: 
      <ul>
        <li>To make the sound system API endianess clean. This should
        make it easier (for a developer) to make the sound drivers usable
        on all architectures.</li>

        <li>To rework character device allocation. This way someone can
        choose a specific channel, e.g. /dev/dsp0.r0 or /dev/dsp0.p0 to
        access the first recording or play channel respectively). With
        the "current" sound system (as in FreeBSD 6.1) this is not
        possible (accessing /dev/dsp0.0 and /dev/dsp0.1 may give you the
        first or the second channel, the number is just an enumeration,
        not a channel-chooser).</li>

        <li>To add multi-channel support/processing.</li>

        <li>To add Intel HDA support. There's already some code to look
        at (see URL referenced above), but is far from usable for an
        enduser (we need some programmers, but no testers ATM, since
        there are no user testable parts yet). Interested volunteers
        should contact the multimedia mailinglist.</li>
      </ul>

      Parts of this work may be already in 6.1, but there's still a good
      portion which isn't even in -current as of this writing.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Style(9) cleanup, survive against WARNS=2 (at least).</task>

      <task>Have a look at the sound related entries on the ideas
      list.</task>

      <task>Rewrite some parts (e.g. a new mixer subsystem with OSS
      compatibility).</task>

      <task>sndctl(1): tool to control non-mixer parts of the sound
      system (e.g. spdif switching, virtual-3D effects) by an user
      (instead of the sysctl approach in -current); pcmplay(1),
      pcmrec(1), pcmutil(1).</task>

      <task>Plugable FEEDER infrastructure. For ease of debugging various
      feeder stuff and/or as userland library and test suite.</task>

      <task>Closer compatibility with OSS, especially for the upcoming
      OSS v4.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='misc'>
    <title>Fundraising for FreeBSD security development</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Colin</given>

          <common>Percival</common>
        </name>

        <email>cperciva@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://people.freebsd.org/~cperciva/funding.html" />
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Since 2003, I have introduced the (now quite widely used)
      FreeBSD Update and Portsnap tools, but rarely had time to make
      improvements or add requested features. Consequently, on March
      30th, I sent email to the the freebsd-hackers, freebsd-security,
      and freebsd-announce lists announcing that I was seeking funding to
      allow me to spend the summer working full-time on these and my role
      as FreeBSD Security Officer. Assuming that some cheques arrive as
      expected, I have reached my donation target and will start work at
      the beginning of May.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>The work which I'm aiming to do is listed at the URL
      above.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='arch'>
    <title>FreeBSD on Xen 3.0</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Scott</given>

          <common>Long</common>
        </name>

        <email>scottl@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Kip</given>

          <common>Macy</common>
        </name>

        <email>kmacy@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>We had hoped to finish a prototype of Xen DomU and possible Dom0
      in time for FreeBSD 6.1. The primary work was focused on bringing
      Xen into the FreeBSD 'newbus' framework. Unfortunately, an
      architectural problem in FreeBSD has stopped us. Xen relies on
      message passing between to child and parent domains to communicate
      device configuration, and this message passing requires that tsleep
      and wakeup work early in boot. That doesn't seem to be the case,
      and it's unclear what it would take to make it work. Without the
      newbus work, it's hard to complete the Dom0 code, and impossible to
      support Xen 3.0 features like domain suspension.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Make tsleep and wakeup work during early boot</task>

      <task>Continue DomU newbus work</task>

      <task>Continue Dom0 work</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>TrustedBSD Audit</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Robert</given>

          <common>Watson</common>
        </name>

        <email>rwatson@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <email>trustedbsd-audit@TrustedBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.TrustedBSD.org/audit.html">TrustedBSD Audit
      Web Page</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>In the past three months, the TrustedBSD CAPP audit
      implementation has been merged to the FreeBSD 7-CURRENT development
      tree in CVS, and the groundwork has been laid for a merge to 6.X.
      OpenBSM, a BSD-licensed implementation of Sun's Basic Security
      Module (BSM) API and file format, as well as extensions to support
      intrusion detect applications. New features included support for
      audit pipes, a pseudo-device that provides a live audit record
      trail interface for intrusion detection applications, and an audit
      filter daemon that allows plug-in modules to monitor live
      events.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Complete audit coverage of non-native system call ABIs, some
      more recent base system calls.</task>

      <task>Integrate OpenBSM 1.0 alpha 6, which includes auditfilterd
      and the audit filter API.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='proj'>
    <title>TrustedBSD OpenBSM</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Robert</given>

          <common>Watson</common>
        </name>

        <email>rwatson@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <email>trustedbsd-audit@TrustedBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.OpenBSM.org/">TrustedBSD OpenBSM Web
      Page</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>OpenBSM is a BSD-licensed implementation of Sun's Basic Security
      Module (BSM) API and file format, based on Apple's Darwin
      implementation. OpenBSM 1.0 alpha 5 is now available, and includes
      significant bugfixes, documentation, and feature enhancements over
      previous releases, including 64-bit token support,
      endian-independent operation, improved memory management, and bug
      fixes resulting from the static analysis tools provided by Coverity
      and FlexeLint. Recent versions are now built and configured using
      autoconf and automake, and have been built and tested with FreeBSD,
      Mac OS X, and Linux.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Complete OpenBSM file format validation test suite.</task>

      <task>Finalize audit filter API.</task>

      <task>Complete file format documentation; record documentation for
      new record types associated with Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and Linux
      specific events not present in documented Solaris record
      format.</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='arch'>
    <title>ARM Support for TS-7200</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>John-Mark</given>

          <common>Gurney</common>
        </name>

        <email>jmg@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts7200-spec-h.html">
      TS-7200 Board</url>

      <url
      href="http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/jmg/arm&amp;HIDEDEL=NO">
      Perforce Code Location</url>

      <url href="http://people.freebsd.org/~jmg/dmesg.ts7200">FreeBSD/arm
      TS-7200 dmesg output</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>This is just an update to note that TS-7200 is building and
      running with a recent -current.</p>

      <p>I have been working on getting FreeBSD/arm running on the
      TS-7200. So far the board boots, and has somewhat working ethernet
      (some unexplained packet loss). I can netboot from a FreeBSD/i386
      machine, and I can also mount msdosfs's on CF.</p>
    </body>

    <help>
      <task>Figuring out why some small packets transmit with error (if
      someone can get Technologic Systems to pay attention to me and this
      issue, that'd be great!)</task>

      <task>EP93xx identification information to properly attach various
      onboard devices</task>
    </help>
  </project>

  <project cat='arch'>
    <title>Ultrasparc T1 support</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Kip</given>

          <common>Macy</common>
        </name>

        <email>kmacy@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>

      <person>
        <name>
          <given>John</given>

          <common>Gurney</common>
        </name>

        <email>jmg@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
      <url href="http://opensparc-t1.sunsource.net/index.html">T1
      processor and hypervisor documentation.</url>

      <url href="http://www.fsmware.com/sun4v/todo.txt">TODO list</url>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>FreeBSD has been ported the T1, Sun's newest processor. FreeBSD
      currently runs multi-user SMP. JMG is actively working on improving
      device support.</p>

      <p>The port has taken several weeks longer than initially
      anticipated as the majority of the current sparc64 port could not
      be re-used.</p>
    </body>
  </project>

  <project cat='vendor'>
    <title>OpenBSD packet filter - pf</title>

    <contact>
      <person>
        <name>
          <given>Max</given>

          <common>Laier</common>
        </name>

        <email>mlaier@FreeBSD.org</email>
      </person>
    </contact>

    <links>
    </links>

    <body>
      <p>Work towards importing the upcoming OpenBSD 3.9 version of pf is
      starting slowly. There are a couple of infrastructural changes
      (e.g. interface groups) that need to be imported beforehand. This
      work is in the final stage of progress.</p>

      <p>A couple of bugfixes have happend since the last report and will
      be available in FreeBSD 6.1/5.5. pf users are strongly encouraged
      to upgrade to RELENG_6 as the version present in RELENG_5 is
      collecting dust.</p>
    </body>
  </project>
</report>