blob: ae710f1e4ce983304036d1be8fa2ca0523f1f13e (plain
The PyPA recommended tool for installing and managing Python packages.
pip is a replacement for easy_install. It uses mostly the same techniques
for finding packages, so packages that were made easy_installable should
be pip-installable as well.
pip is meant to improve on easy_install. Some of the improvements:
* All packages are downloaded before installation. Partially-completed
installation doesn't occur as a result.
* Care is taken to present useful output on the console.
* The reasons for actions are kept track of. For instance, if a package
is being installed, pip keeps track of why that package was required.
* Error messages should be useful.
* Packages don't have to be installed as egg archives, they can be
installed flat (while keeping the egg metadata).