blob: daa57062b1b24d4989888e4e8c4b93c9c2520c66 (plain
* This file is in the public domain
* 6 digits of version. The most significant are branch indicators at the
* time when the last incompatible change was made (which is why it is
* presently 6 on 7-current). The least significant digits are incremented
* as described below. The format is similar to the __FreeBSD_version, but
* not tied to it.
* DO NOT CASUALLY BUMP THIS NUMBER! The rules are not the same as shared
* libs or param.h/osreldate.
* It is the version number of the protocol between config(8) and the
* sys/conf/ Makefiles (the kernel build system).
* It is now also used to trap certain problems that the syntax parser cannot
* Unfortunately, there is no version number for user supplied config files.
* Once, config(8) used to silently report errors and continue anyway. This
* was a huge problem for 'make buildkernel' which was run with the installed
* /usr/sbin/config, not a cross built one. We started bumping the version
* number as a way to trap cases where the previous installworld was not
* compatible with the new buildkernel. The buildtools phase and much more
* comprehensive error code returns solved this original problem.
* Most end-users will use buildkernel and the build tools from buildworld.
* The people that are inconvenienced by gratuitous bumps are developers
* who run config by hand. However, developers shouldn't gratuitously be
* One should bump the CONFIGVERS in the following ways:
* (1) If you change config such that it won't read old config files,
* then bump the major number. You shouldn't be doing this unless
* you are overhauling config. Do not casually bump this number
* and by implication do not make changes that would force a bump
* of this number casually. You should limit major bumps to once
* per branch.
* (2) For each new feature added, bump the minor version of this file.
* When a new feature is actually used by the build system, update the
* %VERSREQ field in the Makefile.$ARCH of all the affected makefiles
* (typically all of them).
#define CONFIGVERS 600018
#define MAJOR_VERS(x) ((x) / 100000)
/* Last config(8) version to require envmode/hintmode */
#define CONFIGVERS_ENVMODE_REQ 600015